The savory version of kozhakattai is made with urad dal and is called ulundu kozhakattai.I like this more than the modakam,I often reserve some dough more whenever I make kozhakattais.The taste of ground urad dal steamed and sauteed acts as the filling and tastes simply awesome.Kozhakattai making is time consuming and hard work,but once you make them,the results are truly rewarding.I wanted to post this for long and as the festivities of Ganesha Chaurthi and Varalakshmi Pooja nearing I couldn’t think of posting anything.So over to the recipe..
INGREDIENTS
| Urad Dal | I cup for soaking and 1 tsp for tempering |
| Mustard | 1/2 tsp |
| Green Chillies | 2 |
| Asafoetida | 1/4 tsp |
| Salt | to taste |
| Oil | 1 tsp |
| Curry Leaves | a sprig |
| Coconut (grated) | 3 tsp |
FOR MAKING DOUGH
| Rice Flour | 1 cup |
| Sesame oil | 1 tsp |
| Salt | to taste |
| Water | 1 1/4 cup |
HOW TO MAKE
- Soak urad dal for 20 minutes.Drain after 20 minutes and grind with green chilli with very litle water to a smooth paste.
- Grease an idli stand with oil and place the urad dal batter and steam for 15 minutes.
- Take out the steamed urad dal mixture and scramble in a mixer.
- In a pan add oil and add mustard ,urad dal,curry leaves and asafoetida.Add scrambled urad dal mixture followed by grated coconut.
- Mix well.Ulundu Poornam is ready.Make balls out of ulundu poornam.
- Boil water in a pan with little sesame oil.Add rice flour slowly as the water starts to boil.
- Mix well without forming lumps and wait till glossy texture is formed.Form lemon sized balls once cooled.
- Make cups out of dough and place poornam inside and shape them as shown.I have made in another shape as momos,which my grandmother used to make and I used to call as aeroplane kozhakattai.
- Steam in a pan with water at the bottom.
- Ulundu Kozhakattai is ready.
Notes
- You can add red chilli in place of green ones.
- Adding urad dal for tempering gives a unique crunch.
- Be sure to scramble with a mixer to get even filling.





Grab the feed for followup comments!