I always like to cook traditional food whenever I get a chance and this one I learnt from my mom who makes it to perfection.In our family authentic food items are always a welcome and usually I make it on holidays.We all relish on such foods as they are so tasty and add a classic feel to it.My hubby is not only a great food critic but also eats whatever I make with much interest.No other go for him?
So when I found this banana flower last week I purchased it to make this tasty gravy for a sunday lunch.You can have it with rice mixed with dal or as such itself.The only difficult part is removing the coverings and when that is done the rest is a matter of ease.You can cut the florerts and put them in a bowl of water and keep it in fridge till use.Always make sure to use the banana flower in a day or two from the date of purchase as fresh ones taste better and tastier.Now let’s see how I made this tasty gravy.
INGREDIENTS
| Banana flower/vazhaipoo | 1 |
| Tamarind | a lemon shaped ball |
| Sambhar powder | 2tsp |
| Salt | to taste |
| Coconut milk | 3tsp |
| Rice flour | 1tsp |
TO TEMPER
| Oil | 1tsp |
| Urad dal | 1tsp |
| Channa dal | 1tsp |
| Curry leaves | a sprig |
| Asafoetida | a pinch |
- Remove the flower coverings and take out the florets carefully in a bunch.Take the staemen out of the florets slowly.
- Chop them finely and put it in water and set aside to avoid blackening and soak tamarind in water.
- Extract tamarind juice and put it in a vessel and add choped banana florets, asafoetida ,sambhar powder alongwith salt and cook till raw smell goes away.Mix rice flour and water to make a slurry and add to the gravy for thickening.
- Temper the items given in the to temper table and add to the gravy.
- Yummy banana flower kuzhambu is ready to be served.
Notes
1.You can add jack fruit seeds by removing the outer skin while cooking the banana flower.
2.Adjust the tamarind according to your taste,
3.You can add fresh milk instead of coconut milk.





Grab the feed for followup comments!